wow model veiwer to lightwave

All questions and discussions about file format analysis are welcome in this forum.

Moderators: Alhexx, mirex

wow model veiwer to lightwave

Postby Skywalker113 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 23:29

I have world of warcraft model veiwer. I am trying to get models from it into lightwave 3d, with the textures.

Since exporting a model as a lightwave obj from wow model veiwer doesn't work, I am exporting it as a wavefront obj and using Biturn to convert it to a lightwave obj. I was able to get a model into lightwave that way, although it did not have any texture.

Help is appreciated.
Skywalker113

Postby OmegaThree » Thu Sep 24, 2009 18:27

Unless I'm mistaken, OBJ's don't preserve mapping coordinates, so a texture won't do you any good unless you rebuild the UVW map by hand. Yuck.

I don't know of a Lightwave solution — perhaps someone else does — but there's a 3ds max script that imports M2's. I haven't tried it on any file version since before Burning Crusade was released. Wish I could be of more help.
OmegaThree

Postby mirex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:19

Wavefront OBJ does support texture coordinates. Reason why model is not textured in Lightwave could be either that model has no texture assigned, or that texture coordinates are corrupted or missing in OBJ file.

To see if it is caused by first possibility, try to assign some image texture to the model in Lightwave.

If you can't solve it by yourself, upload the OBJ file so I can take a look at it and tell you what's wrong.
mirex
Administrator
Administrator

Return to File Format Analysis