Tomb Raider Legend Models

All questions and discussions about file format analysis are welcome in this forum.

Moderators: Alhexx, mirex

Postby Alhexx » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:56

Unfortunately, I haven't been working on the trl model format for about a year now...

If you want to put Lara in "special poses" (i.e. not hard-coded ones), then you will need to rip the model including the skeleton data. The problem is I never found the skeleton data in the model files, because the model is made up of 1000+ files...

I haven't been active in the file hacking scene for a while, but maybe someone found the skeleton data and made a working importer or converter...

I'm sorry, but that's all I can (currently) do for you in this issue...

- Alhexx
Alhexx
Administrator
Administrator

Postby shades » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:14

thats cool...i'll be nosying about with it too. but i'm more of a straight forward artist than animator/3d. thx for feedback, good work also!
shades

Postby kekk0 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 20:18

Hi
first post on this forum :)
I'm looking for any information about tomb rader bigfile.* table of contents; apparently you did some progress, while I'm just starting looking into it, and i would like to avoid the FAT decoding if someone else did it already...
I just need how to read the file table (offsets, lenght), but any info will be very appreciated!

thanks in advance

-kekko
kekk0

Postby Alhexx » Tue Nov 18, 2008 13:49

Welcome :)

It is a long time ago when I last time took a look into the bigfiles. There are just a few things I remember:
I think the file sizes and offsets are stored within the bigfiles, however, the filenames are not stored there. So you will be able to rip the files out, but you won't have the correct names.

Now if I remember correctly, the TOC for all bigfiles is stored in bigfile.000. I think that each bigfile is assumed to have at most 160MB or something around this. Now if you find a file entry in the TOC whose offset is e.g. ~182MB - then the file is stored in bigfile.001 at an offset of ~22MB.

Let's assume that each bigfile may have at most 160 MB. Then if a file's entry in the TOC says it is located at offset i, then the file is stored in bigfile.k, where k = i / 160 MB, at offset m, where m = i modulo 160MB.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember exactly the size that a bigfile is assumed to have and I also don't remember where exactly the TOC is stored or how it is structured... :(

Anyways, I hope I was able to help you, and good luck.

- Alhexx

- edit -
I can maybe look into my old backup archives - maybe I find some unfinished file format documentation about that format.
Alhexx
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kekk0 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 19:09

Alhexx wrote:Welcome :)

It is a long time ago when I last time took a look into the bigfiles. There are just a few things I remember:
I think the file sizes and offsets are stored within the bigfiles, however, the filenames are not stored there. So you will be able to rip the files out, but you won't have the correct names.

Now if I remember correctly, the TOC for all bigfiles is stored in bigfile.000. I think that each bigfile is assumed to have at most 160MB or something around this. Now if you find a file entry in the TOC whose offset is e.g. ~182MB - then the file is stored in bigfile.001 at an offset of ~22MB.

Let's assume that each bigfile may have at most 160 MB. Then if a file's entry in the TOC says it is located at offset i, then the file is stored in bigfile.k, where k = i / 160 MB, at offset m, where m = i modulo 160MB.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember exactly the size that a bigfile is assumed to have and I also don't remember where exactly the TOC is stored or how it is structured... :(

Anyways, I hope I was able to help you, and good luck.

- Alhexx

- edit -
I can maybe look into my old backup archives - maybe I find some unfinished file format documentation about that format.

Hi Alhexx,
thanks for replying. I guess the TOC is tha bunch of data on bigfile.000 header. The first dword should be the stored files number, then there is the list of offsets (I guess), but it looks like encoded somehow...
If you manage to find that documentation, you'll make me very happy! :)
Of course, everything I'll add to that will be posted here for future reference...

Thanks again.
-kekko
kekk0

Postby Alhexx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 19:23

Sorry to say that, but unfortunately I don't have any documents on the bigfile formats. When I was working on the Tomb Raider models, I used a tool from someone else to rip the files out of the archives.

You should look around the internet, as it seems that many people wrote tools which are able to unpack the bigfiles - maybe you'll also find some documents on that file format...

- Alhexx
Alhexx
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to File Format Analysis